Four Ways To Work A Ponytail
by Hanna Prince
Easy, chic and surprisingly grown-up, the latest ponytail trends can be tweaked to suit any face shape.
It might be your go-to ‘do for a spin class and lazy Sunday mornings, but this year the humble ponytail is set to get a high fashion makeover. With dozens of different takes on the trend seen across the Spring catwalks, there’s something to suit almost anyone. Here’s our pick of the best new styles.
HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?
Super-low ponytails first made an appearance last year, but their star shows no sign of falling. Try a texturised look by spritzing volumiser into wet hair, rough drying it and dragging it back with your fingers – then use a loop of hair to disguise the elastic. Chin-level bangs complete the look. At the other end of the spectrum is the ‘strict school-dame’ take on the low ponytail. The trick is to get a dead-centre parting, tame frizz with a smoothing treatment and finish with a good spritz of holding spray.
- Who should try it? This slimming look suits round and heart-shaped faces.
- Who should skip it? Long and thin- faced ladies.
Another key catwalk trend this season is the ‘explosion pony’. The key to the look is slicked-back locks fastened at the nape of the neck and then crimped to create crazy volume in the ‘tail’. Add hair brushed-back extensions for extra oomph.
- Who should try it? Long-haired ladies with any face shape.
- Who should skip it? Shy types – this isn’t a look for shrinking violets.
ALL THAT GLITTERS
Forget zero-effort, scraped back styles – this summer, the ponytail is all about bling. Ribbons are a mainstream trend. Loop them around a braid, dress up a loose ponytail with fire engine red or canary yellow colours, or add a velvet ribbon the same length as your pony to make a summer look really pop. Another top trend is mouldable wire twisted around braids or crimped locks (yup, it’s time to get the pliers out). If that sounds a bit too out there, keep it subtle with a barrette slide into your style or a trio of embossed clips.
- Who should try it? Anybody who loves experimenting with style.
- Who should skip it? This probably isn’t one for the office.
Whether worn in a ponytail, slicked down over the ears or messily wind- blown, wet-look hair was huge on the AW2018 catwalk. It’s already a big celebrity trend as well, with actresses rocking slick locks on the red carpet. To make that ‘ just got out of the shower’ pony last all day, use old-fashioned pomade and x the ‘do in place with grips behind your ears.
- Who should try it? Those with fine hair and soft curls with any face shape.
- Who should skip it? It’s trickier to coax thick or Afro hair into this style. Try straightening it first for an on-trend look.